Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Balloons, Toys and Toothbrushes?

No, we're not talking about a birthday party (I guess the tootbrush thing gave it away!), although my firstborn's 4th birthday is right around the corner. I'm talking about the dentist. Yes, on Wednesday my two children had their 1st dentist checkup. If I had actually remembered my camera (but you know me!), I would have posted pictures, but since I don't have any from their first dentist visit, you'll just have to hear about it in words.

Considering my youngest is only 2 1/2, I wasn't really expecting the dentist visit to be a really good one. In fact, when I made the appointment the staff at the pediatric dentist's office told me to expect about 45 minutes per child since it was their first visit. However, I was pleasantly surprised. We actually ended up only staying for about an hour because they did sooooo AMAZING!! The dental hygienist was even surprised at how well the kids did at their age. I was fully expecting to deal with fussing, crying, struggles, etc., but they had none of the above! The staff at the pediatric dentist's office were so nice and 'debriefed' me on what was to be expected. They even had a playroom for the kids that had 3 stations of videogames and a room full of toys! (Definitely different from my days going to the dentist as a kid). They took x-rays of both of the kids (my oldest first) and after they were done, they gave them both a sticker. What was really funny is that the dental hygienist that came in to clean the kid's teeth was actually a member of my running club. I had actually run with and talked to her at the very beginning of my training (it may not seem like a big deal, but my running club had about 400 or 500 ? members in it, so it was really a strange coincidence!) Anyway, Ashlyn got her teeth cleaned first and then Layton followed suit, fluoride treatment and everything. After the doctor declared them both cavity-free (YAAAAY!!), they went home with balloons, toys and new character toothbrushes. I was so proud!!!

How do your kids do at the dentist? Do they cringe at the thought of going, or do they actually like to go?

3 comments:

Lacie said...

I have been so behind on blogging! It was so nice to catch up on you last week or so! Yall all look great! Did you get a haircut?

Well done on the easter meal! WOW!
You guyes looked like yall had fun!

Teeth...Kannon as not been yet...but I do have the names and numbers of the Doctors...oops!

Holly said...

Just to keep my nomination for Mom of the Year current, I have not taken A. to the dentist yet. Hey, these aren't her permanent teeth! (hahaha)

I'm glad their visit went well. I'll have to get the Dr.'s name from you.

maria said...

Holly--the dentist's name is Dr. Ludi Casas in Clear Lake. Heather recommended her to me and let me tell you, she is great! BTW, don't feel bad about the dentist thing--I only thought of scheduling it because of Jason's new job (and change in dental converage).