Monday, January 28, 2008

My own brand of therapy

Since I haven't posted a new blog entry in awhile, I figured I'd give you a little update on my life's happenings up to this point. After the marathon, I've been feeling a little (shall we say) unfocused. After debating the matter of 'whether or not do to do another marathon', I've decided to shelve the matter for awhile and focus on other matters. Whether I want to or not, my mind has been cluttered with other thoughts. You see, my dad has been contemplating finding another potential spouse--one of whom did not work out, and another who is a promising possibility. Since its been about two years since my mom died, I know my dad is ready to find someone to share his life with and not be so terribly lonely. Its a bittersweet time for me since I am hopeful for my dad and excited for him in starting a new chapter in his life, but at the same time I am really feeling the loss of my mother. I think reality is starting to set in that she will no longer (physically) be a part of my family here on earth. Sometimes just that thought alone threatens to overwhelm me at times. As with anything in life, I've come to discover that sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and hope that each day is better than the day before. I guess what the French say is true, "C'est la vie".
On a (much) lighter note, I have been trying to occupy my time and thoughts with my newest home improvement project--the hall bathroom. I would love to do some before and after shots of the entire project, but since the 'before' shots of the bath would be too embarrassing, I will just post some 'after' shots and leave the 'before' ones to your imagination. I'm not doing a major remodel, just removing the dreadful sunflower wallpaper, repainting and replacing a light fixture. So far most of the wallpaper is gone, so my next step is to sand, repair, prime and paint the walls (all of which I do while the kids are in bed). Not only is this (hopefully) beautifying my house, but it is also constructively filling my thoughts and my time so I don't have time to feel down. So there you have it--good or bad, home remodeling/redecorating is my therapy.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I think that's a great therapy! So isn't there any way to convince you to post "before" pictures??? COME ON!!! Just think how dramatic that will make the reveal! And we will all appreciate your hard work so much more knowing what it looked like before... yeah, that's it.

And while I can't even begin to imagine how you feel in regards to losing your mom, I will definitely pray that you can have peace with your dad moving on and finding a spouse. Hang in there girl :)

Lacie said...

Maria,

So, I take it the date went good???
I am both happy and sad for you! Happy that your Dad wants to continue on with life but sad that you are feeling the loss of your adorable mother!

When all else fails PRAY and then re-do a bathroom! Sounds great to me!

It was so wonderful to spend time with your family last weekend! I miss your laugher!

Lacie

Holly said...

That's pretty good therapy and you will reap benefits in the form of a beautiful new bathroom. It's a win-win. Sort-of.

We should talk soon about the Dads. :) Love ya!