Monday, October 29, 2007

My first 'half' -- Ooh, Rah!

This past Sunday, I reached a milestone: my first half-marathon. For those of you who know me (or have been keeping up with my blog), I started a marathon training program in July with the hopes of completing the Chevron Houston Marathon in January (and still be standing after it was over!). Well, I have been lucky enough to be introduced to my first actual races through this program: a 5-miler, a 10-miler this past month and most recently the half-marathon. Since I am a born worrier (I'd worry about nothing if I could do it--in fact I think I have!), I've been worried about how I'd do on Sunday's race, "would I be able to complete the half without my knee pain flaring up?", "would I know where to park, where to go, etc.", even "would I be able to make it to the starting line without catching my daughter's cold?". Well, all my questions were answered as usual before Sunday (thank you God) and I made it to the starting line. The weather was perfect except for the cool temperatures in the morning. I think it was in the low 50's (my father in Missouri would be laughing at this one--weather is soooo relative, isn't it?) but once I got going, I felt great. After a hard run up and down the hills of Allen Parkway (again, so relative, isn't it?) I ran across the finish line.

Here's me with my race medal. My knees were aching, but I still got my race "bling".

Here's me with the 'fam'. You can definitely tell the kids had just gotten up. Jason had just got them out of bed to come see mommy finish her race. I'm not sure if the kids saw me or not, but Layton kept telling me, "Mommy, I proud of you". My family always make my heart smile.

I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband who supports me in everything I do. Not only does he support and encourage me in all my running endeavors by coming to my races and watching the kids so I can do my training runs, he is my No. 1 fan at home. I am so thankful for his support, because without him I wouldn't be able to accomplish many of my life goals. I don't know what I have done in my life to end up with such a wonderful man, but I thank God every day for it! I am truly blessed.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Good for you! I'm proud of you for finishing your first half. LOVE the bling and the pic of the kids. THey are so proud of thier momma! :)

Holly said...

WooHoo Maria! I'm so proud of you girl!! Congrats on acing your first half (you were smokin'!) and getting your BLING! It's addicting!

So glad Jason and the kids cheered you across the finish. Great pics.

Whitney said...

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment! And you don't even look tired in the pictures!!! :)

Lacie said...

Yeah!!!! I totally knew you could do it!! I'm cheering you all the way! You go GIRL!

Heather's House said...

GO Maria!! I'm so proud of you! I can't wait till January! You rock, girl!