Monday, October 15, 2007

"Do, Re, Mi..."

On a recent trip to the library, I picked up a cd in the children's section, entitled 'A Child's Celebration of Showtunes'. On this particular cd, it featured classic songs from the original cast recordings of a variety of Broadway shows. 'The Sound of Music', 'Fiddler on the Roof', 'The King and I' are just some of the shows that it featured. I was in heaven! As the song 'Do, Re, Mi' came on, I could just picture Maria Von Trapp singing with the Von Trapp children as they were picnicking by the Alps. Oh, how those movie scenes made me wish I was one of the Von Trapp children (okay, maybe not a Von Trapp in real-life since the Nazi's were taking over Austria at that time, but you get the picture...) All those songs made me revisit my old love of movie musicals. (Is there anyone on the planet who does not like 'The Sound of Music'?)




Speaking of movie musicals, I happened to come across another great movie musical, 'Grease' as I was flipping through the channels the other night. One of my all-time favorites! I knew all the songs of 'Grease' like the back of my hand! 'Grease' was one of my mother's favorite movies when I was a child and I grew up singing all of the songs like they were nursery rhymes. In fact, my sister, Jackie, and I made a tape recording when we were preschool age of 'You're the one that I want' from the movie (if only we knew what we were singing!) I think Jackie and I both wanted to be Sandy in the movie (of course, who wouldn't want to look as great as she did at the end of the movie and end up with John Travolta!) Anyhoo...(back to my train of thought--sorry about that) I forgot just how much I loved watching movies like those and singing along with all of the songs. Of course, my beloved husband, Jason, would have to disagree with me on some of my movie tastes (he cannot stand 'Grease' or 'Annie', two of my all time faves!) But I just love 'em!


'Grease', 'Annie', 'My Fair Lady', and 'The Sound of Music' are some of my all time faves! What are some of your favorite movie musicals?

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm with you friend!!! I love, love, love musicals. Grease is my all-time favorite. I have joined the High School Musical bandwagon as well... yes, I'm a dork! Does MAry Poppins count? Another classic!

maria said...

Mary Poppins definitely counts! I forgot about that one...I have yet to see 'High School Musical', but would love to see what all the buzz is about! (Is that something that you can find on DVD? See, I'm totally out of the loop--hee, hee!)