Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dad and Suzy


This past weekend I got to meet my future stepmother, stepbrothers and family. You could say I was a little overwhelmed...but pleasantly surprised.

On Saturday, we drove up to Tomball to meet everyone. Since it was at Suzy's (my dad's fiancee's) daughter-in-law's parent's house in Tomball (yeah, it was hard to wrap my brain around that one too!), we had a nice, casual cookout by the pool while all of the kiddos swam and played. Suzie was so warm and kind and so were all of her family. I really hit it off with her daughter-in-law, Leah, and her husband Bill (one of my future stepbrothers) while our kids played with theirs (Carson, 7 yrs; Lainie, 5 yrs; and Drew, 3 yrs). I also got to meet Suzy's youngest son, Nathan and his wife and they were very nice as well. When we got a moment alone, I asked Nathan and Bill what they thought about our parents getting married. Their responses were the same as what my sister and I had--that their engagement was surprisingly fast, but in both of their best interests to have someone in their lives. You could say it was quite refreshing to not feel like we were the only ones who felt that way!

After we left the cookout, Suzy and dad followed us back home where we visited some more. Here's a recap of the next few days: Ashlyn got sick, we went to the zoo, we went to the Kemah Boardwalk, and then my dad got sick (all in that order!) After a nice (but eventful) visit, they went on their way to visit San Antonio.

What were my feelings during this time, you might ask? Well, they were definitely mixed. I was very happy for my dad and Suzy because they were obviously very happy together and I liked Suzy so much. But as I was putting Ashlyn to bed the next night, she told me that she liked her 'new grandma'. When she said that my heart literally ached for my mom. All I could tell her was that my mom was her 'first' grandma and that she was in heaven looking down on us. When Ashlyn asked, "how can we talk to her?", I told her that we could ask God how she was doing. I had to laugh when Ashlyn asked me what my mom was doing up in heaven, and she told me that she thought she was probably just "laying around". Oh, to have the innocent mind of a child!

Overall, I am very, very happy that my dad has chosen such a wonderful person to be his next wife. She is a Christian woman who is very gentle, kind, and sincere. I couldn't have picked a better person myself!:)

6 comments:

nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacie said...

Maria,

I'm glad you shared your weekend. I am happy for your Dad and Suzy. It sounds like neither one wanted to grow old alone. Is sounds like Suzy is very kind and I think Suzy is lucky to have found your father too.

I know your heart is torn at times-
I hope seeing your Father happy and knowing your Mother is not suffering will bring you the peace you need.

Oh...on another note-I can't believe you let the kids bring a snake in the house!!!!

Love ya,
Lacie

Heather's House said...

It was so nice to meet her. She seems like such a sweet lady and I'm glad your dad is happy, too. I know yall had fun and I know things will be great with them. :) He is lucky to have you...you are an awesome daughter!

Holly said...

I'm so glad they came for a visit (even though there was some sickness going around) and you got to spend some time with her. I'm glad I got to meet her too!
I know there are mixed emotions about everything, but I hope you find peace about all the changes.
{{HUGS!!}}

Michael Ann said...

Maria,

I can only imagine how you feel with all this. I am so glad that she is as great as you say she is and that your dad is happy. It could be a total nightmare situation. I'm also glad that you were able to hit it off well with her kids and talk about your feelings. God's hand is definetely at work in all this. Love you!

Whitney said...

I'm sure that was very difficult for you, but it sounds like you handled it perfectly. I'm glad your dad has found someone so special like Suzy- she will be a wonderful addition to your family & will make your dad very happy.