Monday, November 12, 2007

A "Weighty" Issue

Okay, I'm about to jump on my soapbox so get ready... Why, oh why are females (a.k.a. me) always so obsessed about our weight? What seems to have been on the 'backburner' in my mind has recently come to the forefront. Why now, you ask? Well, it seems that I have recently started to regain a little bit of the weight that I lost after Layton. And I am NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT! What irritates me the most about the whole issue is that I am probably in the best shape of my life being able to run long distances while I'm training for the marathon, but since I don't wear a size 2, it doesn't matter. (Okay, I don't think I've ever worn a size 2, except maybe when I was in junior high?), but that doesn't make me feel better. Since when is a woman's size/weight an indicator of her self-worth? Why is it that when we gain weight, we suddenly aren't the same smart, funny, capable women we were when we weighed less? I know a 'good' weight/size is relative for everyone, since my weight could be someone else's goal weight--but I know I look at other people wishing that I was their weight/size (is that bad?!) Sorry for the 'Debbie-Downer' post, but that's how I feel lately...

Am I alone in this, or is anyone else tired of looking in the 'fun-house' mirror?

6 comments:

Heather's House said...

I thought I was the only one with a fun house mirror! HA

I am right there with you girl. I totally understand what you are taking about.

Just know that I think you are beautiful and look great. And you are in such good shape. Think about how healthy you are. Girl, you just ran 14 miles!!! You ROCK~

Holly said...

"How do you solve a problem like Maria?" (Cue nuns singing) (Hee Hee)

I completely understand what you are talking about and how you are feeling. I get it, don't like it, have my moments, etc. However.

Banish the negative self-talk. C'mon!!

You are a beautiful woman!! You have always been beautiful throughout ALL the versions of Maria. Seriously!!!

Right now you are training for a marathon, which is new to your body. Your body also needs different types of food and you can't deny it carbs while you're training. So there's that.

Don't criticize yourself, think negative thoughts and compare yourself to others around you or in the media. You've got better things to do like be a rockin' wife, mom, friend, daughter, sister and RUNNER!

Love you, btw.

Mamaof3 said...

You know, it's just (IMO) a woman thing to a big degree. No matter what our size, it's not the right one, or if it is..there's something we'd like to change about ourselves! I think the key to try and remember is that you are a creation of God...and that makes your PERFECT in His sight. God doesn't make mistakes, right? So LOVE yourself! I'll try to be more accepting right along with you. It's a struggle we all have!

Whitney said...

Girl, I feel like I'm looking in that mirror every day! Granted I have the excuse of being pregnant right now, but I'm totally dreading how I'm going to get this weight back off AND keep it off!

Just keep in mind that muscles weighs more than fat- and you've gained a lot of muscle in training! So you might weigh more, but you are probably more healthy!

Lacie said...

Ditto EVERYONE!!!!

I have always thought you were so beautiful inside and out!!! BUT I can't get inside your head and make you see yourself that way.

However, as long as your heart is beautiful that is all God asks of us! Good thing there won't be a scale at the entrance to Heaven-Hee Hee!

Jody said...

Maria~
Hey, it's Janell! Your children are precious. I really appreciate you being honest on this post! I have ALWAYS struggled with this. I finally got my size 2 about 3 1/2 years ago and then had the kiddos! I am sooooo far from that now. Yes, I don't feel as worthy as a woman b/c of the weight. That stinks. Satan really uses this right now!
I gained 9 lbs when I trained for my marathon. I am not sure that it was all muscle either. So, I guess I have to look at giving birth as another marathon. It sure felt like it.
You look great, but I TOTALLY understand!!!
Hugs,
Janell