Sunday, September 9, 2007

My first race

I guess the title is pretty self-explanatory... I had my first race on Saturday and it was a 5-miler! Let's just say my nerves were up and I pushed myself as hard as I could. I got an awesome finish time, but had a raging headache after a few hours to show for it! (Mental note--don't push that hard again!) Anyway, it was fun, it was a learning experience, and my dear husband and children were there at the finish line to cheer me in. Here's some pics of race day (just as extra proof to all those out there who couldn't believe it could be done (by me!)

Here's me at the finish line. The super-excited look on my face comes from spotting my family at the finish line waiting for me. I think I look kinda scary in this picture. Please say I don't look like this every time I'm happy to see my family (just think what I'm putting my poor children through!:)


Come to think of it, my happy face could be a result of successfully picking up my water bottle after dropping it once, trying to pick it up, kicking it a small distance and then actually picking it up after my second try. Did I mention this all happened within 20 feet of the finish line? Funny how all my embarrassing moments happen in front of like a zillion people. Okay, maybe there weren't a 'zillion' people there, but there was a crowd. At least it wasn't as I was crossing the finish line--see there's a bright side to everything:)

Here's me with the kiddos after I crossed the finish line. As you can see, both were just dying to get their picture taken with sweaty old mama (they were so excited they just couldn't stand still for the picture!) Oh, and thank goodness for Pepperidge Farm. If it wasn't for their goldfish my kids wouldn't be standing here waiting patiently for mama to come in from her race (or sitting quietly in church, or sitting still at library time, etc...)


Here's my attempt at stretching post-race. As you can see, Layton saw me sitting down and immediately sat on my lap. He probably thought I was going to read him a book...sweet boy!


Just as I'm finishing up this blog 'entry', Layton is telling me 'You race--Im proud of you, mama'. Kinda makes me want to melt! How about the rest of you 'racers' out there? Any funny or special 'first-race' memories?

3 comments:

Lacie said...

Thats Great Maria!!! I'm so proud of you! You are a natural! Run Girl Run!

I would think something was wrong if you had not done something graceful during the race(kicking the water bottle-Ha!)

I know your children are proud of you and will always remember their wonderful mother making them hug you all stinky at the end of the race-Ha!

No Really, you are doing great and I know your family is your biggest cheering group, but you have a friend no too far away that is cheering for you too!
Have Fun! Miss Ya!

Mamaof3 said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pic of you running in! :P You go girl! Good job!

Holly said...

You did an awesome job Maria!! Sorry you ended up with a headache though-Yikes!!

I'm glad your "crew" was able to cheer you in at the finish. That is so special--for you and also a memory for them.