Tuesday, February 19, 2008

To be a child...

Sometimes it amazes me that children can find such excitement in doing things, we, as adults, find mundane. Today, for instance, I decided to do some yardwork in the backyard. What me? Actually do some yardwork?! For those of you who know me, gardening/yardwork, etc. is just not my thing. I'm not sure if its the fact that I've mowed maybe once in my life, or if its the fact that I have a major phobia of earthworms, but I generally steer clear of outside work and leave it all to my dear husband. However, after many a day of looking at my overgrown backyard (which has not come into contact with a lawnmower blade since I don't even remember when), I decided to take matters into my own hands. So, with my gloves (so as to minimize contact with any nasty earthworms or grubs), I set about weeding our poor yard.
What really amazed me while I was working, is that my kids were actually excited to help me! You should have seen them! Grass, weeds, leaves (whatever) started flying through the air. They were so excited to be helping mommy. It was especially cute when Ashlyn told me, "Look momma! We can make bread with these weeds!". (I think she actually got the word 'weeds' mixed up with 'wheat', but hey, if you grow and pick them both out of the ground how can you help but mix up the two!) I just wish I had the same sort of excitement the children have when I have a particular chore to do. Just when did I lose that childhood innocence? Who knows?! All I know, is that I have a lot to learn from the mind of a child.

Do your children find excitement in ordinary things too? Do you have any weird phobias that prevent you from doing things you might enjoy?

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Could I borrow you kids for a weekend- we could use some help in our yard! :) JK- I'm glad they had fun in the yard! And I loved the comment about using the weeds to make bread! ha ha!

Mamaof3 said...

I was just thinking this exact same thing this morning about MY kids! :) It's funny how they LOVE to help when you don't ask...but if you want them to do something..NO WAY! :) I'm proud of you girl! I know how scary those snakes...uh..I mean earthworms can be for you! :)

Traci said...

Kylie love, love, loves to cook with me and windex the windows. It's true, if I really want her to do something-forget it!

Ashlyn sounds so cute! I love that she mixed up weeds for wheat!

Oh, yeah, Riley LOVES to help with the laundry. Go figure!!

Holly said...

This is so true Maria--they remind us that there CAN be excitement in the ordinary tasks--we just forget in our grown-upness, which is kind of sad.

Michael Ann said...

Just today I was cleaning out Carson and Cal's play room and reorganizing his shelf. I was putting things back in place and Carson asked if he could help. Then he wanted to help me cook and was so excited. It seems like when I try to clean he asks me to help and really is excited about it. Maybe it's the fact that they think that they are doing a "grown up" thing or something that makes them excited about doing it. I don't know, but it is sweet to see. By the way, you don't look a tad different from 10 years ago at HU! You look fantastic! Post some more pics of you guys, Wade wants to see stanzell too!